Monday, October 6, 2008

2 Days in a Row with a Miss - Tough Weekend

Having botched Saturday evening’s shoot for a photo to enter in Digital Grin’s DSS 9 competition, I drove out late yesterday afternoon to Lynnhaven Inlet. The image that I was looking for was a silhouette of one of the local fisherman throwing a cast net backlit by the setting sun. First glitch occurred when I got down to the northern bank of the inlet, a place usually teaming with net fishermen, only to find that there were none. Looking across the inlet, I saw 3 men throwing their big nets repeatedly. It then occurred to me that not only was I on the wrong side in terms of subjects; I was also on the wrong side in order to shoot into the setting sun. There wasn’t enough time left for to drive to the other side of the inlet, find parking, and get my equipment down to the beach before I lost the light I needed.

Iso 200, f/5.6, 1/100 sec, 200mm

I decided to work with what I had on my side the inlet and ended up with a couple of shots that were decent but in no way good enough to place in the top-10 of the competition. After much debate, I decided to enter the above shot anyway just to get feedback. I liked the colors in the landscape image below but it just didn’t have strong subject to standout.


Iso 200, f/3.5, 1/30 sec, 18mm


DSS 10 began this morning and it looks even more difficult. The theme is “Illustrating Text” with the interpretation being left wide open. This should be interesting.

No comments: