Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mountain Top Portraits

While up in Blue Ridge Mountains on Sunday, Dea, Jake, Skyler, Caleb, and I took the opportunity to take a few family portraits (well, I hid behind the camera. lol) after we finished breakfast. We drove up the Parkway, stopping at various overlooks to see if they offered a nice background. Most of them had far too many distractions to make a decent backdrop; however, we luckily found a few that worked out great.


Iso 200, f/11.0, 1/180 sec, 50mm

Of course (and there's always an of course), there were the normal little gremlins. In my haste to load my gear into Jake's Explorer, I grabbed the wrong light stand meaning that I would have to handhold the remote flash and I wouldn't be able to use the Softliter. The latter wasn't as much of an issue because the wind was blowing at 30 knots and the umbrella probably would have taken a trip down the mountain side. Thank goodness for the Nikon SB-900. I set the exposure based on the background and then used iTTL for fill-flash. The light balanced well and wasn't too overly harsh.

Iso 200, f/11.0, 1/180 sec, 50mm


Dea, Jake, and the kids were real troopers. In addition to the heavy wind, the air temp hovered around 40 degrees. I was shocked that I didn't have to clean up much nasal drip in post! Fly away hair on the other hand was a bit of a nightmare to clone out.

Iso 200, f/11.0, 1/180 sec, 62mm


I have one more set of images coming out of this trip of Skyler's soccer game. I should have them up in a day or two.


Iso 200, f/11.0, 1/1250 sec, 22mm

2 comments:

Jill Beninato said...

These are beautiful family portraits Travis...I love your compositions and your flash looks really natural.

Travis Owney said...

Thanks Jill. We got lucky that there was still some color up there and my sister and her family were real troopers to pose without coats as cold as it was!