Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gabrielle and Grant - The Twins

On Sunday, I spent a couple of hours shooting photos of my friends Sarah and Richard's 4-month old twins. This was definitely a change from the haunting image I did a week ago!

Iso 200, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/750 sec

How on earth can something so small and seemingly immobile make you work that hard to keep up? As expected, most of the time one would be cranky and the other happy and then they would switch roles. Patience may just be one of the most important attributes that a photographer may possess.


Iso 200, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/750 sec

I did learn a very valuable lesson - do not use a new lens for the first time in shoot! I just purchased a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 specifically for portrait work. Sunday morning, I took a few shots with it to see the depth of field but only viewed them on my LCD and did not download them to my computer for viewing. In hindsight I should of because it would have clearly showed me just how razor thin the depth-of-field was going to be. The result is that a few of my favorite compositions found their way to the recylcle bin for being out of focus. Although I really wanted a shallow DOF, I should have opened up a bit more and shot f/2.0 - 2.5.



Iso 200, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/750 sec

I am happy with the collection of photos that were keepers. The photos were processed in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. A few variations in processing were thrown in including a couple cross-processed and monotones. I'm looking forward to sharing these with the clients and getting their feedback.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I think your hired to photograph my children!

Nice work as always Travis.